With the RSA Conference, the biggest cybersecurity event of the year, less than a week away, we thought we’d check in with some of our reporter friends to get their take on what to expect this year. We got some good feedback - some serious and some light-hearted - but all very interesting! Is the “hype cycle” (i.e. what’s “in” and what’s “out”) what is actually causing trouble in the security industry? Who is going to be the new security “darling” or the company everyone wants to hear more from? Continue below to see what Steve Ragan, Senior Staff Writer for CSO had to say, and then check back again this week for insight from our additional reporter friends!
|Steve Ragan, Senior Staff Writer, CSO, @SteveD3|
- What do you think the major trend/topic will be this year?
The basics will apply, so data protection, insider threats, etc. However, I think the topic most people are going to talk about the most is threat intelligence.
- Any topics or trends you think will be "out" this year, i.e. over talked about and old news?
DLP. That was a major buzzword years ago at RSA, but I haven't heard much about it this year.
- What are you most looking forward to about RSA?
Connecting with friends, peers, and sources. I tend to focus on human interactions over talks and panels. Which is ironic, because I'm hosting a panel this year.
- Any companies you think are particularly "hot" this year that we should keep an eye out for?
There is one company that caught my attention, illusive Networks (note the lowercase 'I'). If their product works as advertised, it's clever and useful.
- Any "must attend" parties? We hear Rapid7 always has a good one!
Rapid7 and Cisco are usually a good time. However, the Security Bloggers party is my pick. Maybe I'm biased.
- Planning to attend any of the keynotes?
Not this year, but I do know some of my peers will go. If keynotes are your thing, then you should make time to see them. However, if you have to pick between making an industry contact or meeting with a friend, take the personal option.
- And most importantly, you're planning to come to our 3rd Annual Merritt Group "RSA Wine-Down" happy hour co-hosted this year with Code Red Thursday night at Bluestem, right?!
Wait, you're hosting a party? When did you start hosting parties? :-p (that's a yes!)