Our team members lead and support accounts across the agency to develop and execute communications campaigns, provide clients with strategic counsel, support new business development initiatives, and land big coverage for highly respected firms across a range of B2B technology markets. Ideal candidates thrive in a fast-paced environment, relish the natural high of a well-placed media hit, seek adventure in new professional challenges and continually strive to exceed client expectations through inspired problem solving.
We succeed when our employees do. Join our team and find:
- The opportunity to enhance your media relations, client management and strategic thinking skills among the smartest, boldest and most creative minds in the business
- A career path that supports professional development and promotes growth from within
- A collaborative environment that values good ideas and creates a place for your voice to be heard
- An important role in the execution of integrated PR programs for companies that are changing the world – from Fortune 500 industry leaders to start-ups and market disruptors
- Excellent compensation and benefits packages, financial incentives, reward and recognition programs, and a culture that respects life outside the office
Ready to get started? Check out our open positions below and send an email with resume, cover letter and salary history to email@example.com to apply.
Writer (California or Virginia)
Qualified candidates must possess:
- Professional experience: Minimum eight years of professional writing experience with the majority of that experience writing for a technology or business publication or working in-house at a tech company as a writer/content creator
- Established presence: We're looking for the best of the best, someone who is known or recognized as a writer in this field
- Writing chops: Has developed a sound body of work over the years that demonstrates their understanding of technology markets and their ability to translate complex ideas into palatable content
- A great attitude, of course! Strong work ethic, the ability to work well with teams, a passion for smart communication and the desire to have fun doing it
The Account Manager at Merritt Group is resourceful and hands-on. S/he is someone who is dedicated to developing strong leadership skills and delivering outstanding results with enthusiasm. Account Managers exhibit extraordinary drive and ambition. S/he is calm under pressure and is able to quickly adapt to different situations. Account Managers continuously look for new ways to help our clients communicate with the audiences that are important to them. S/he is the go-to person when others need help or have an issue; s/he listens to others and values opinions and an alternative point of view; and, Account Managers are able to adapt his/her communication style to both clients and teammates. And, like all Merritt Groupers, s/he has an insatiable curiosity and interest in technology and business, social media and digital marketing.
- Account Management: Manage three to four accounts with little oversight from senior staff, including providing day-to-day counsel to client. Mentor/coach each account team and oversee the work of each person on his/her account teams to ensure client objectives are met. Ensure that monthly and long-term goals are set and met for all accounts. Identify opportunities to integrate other agency services (creative services, demand generation, etc.) into accounts where it will advance a client’s goals. The integration should be seamless to the client and the Account Manager should play the client facing-role to the client on the solution area - working behind the scenes with other team members.
- Client Relations: Bring value, meaningful counsel and creativity to client at all times; think a few steps ahead of the client and beyond what they have asked of us. Stay on top of trends and issues that could impact clients and proactively address. Establish a relationship that makes the client feel comfortable, enough to consider Merritt Group as a trusted partner and not just another vendor.
- Planning: Drive internal team meetings and continuously bring new creative ideas to the table. Actively participate in new client kick-off meetings and, when relevant, drive them. Play a strong role in annual, quarterly, and monthly client planning meetings. Handle all client reporting, including monthly reports and meeting agendas. As needed, integrate other agency solution areas (creative services, demand generation, etc.) into account plans.
- Content Creation: Able to identify and recommend content generation campaigns that will help advance the business objectives of our clients. Able to write a full range of documents with little to no editing from senior staff. Edit and provide direction on writing work of other team members. Manage the writing and development of higher-level strategic documents, including messaging platforms and PR plans.
- Media Relations: Instrumental in driving media relations campaigns that shape clients’ reputations and help them achieve their business objectives. Has very strong media relations skills and a passion for coverage. Work with the team to maximize media attention for key announcements and proactive campaigns. Able to manage product reviews and customer relations programs. Ensure our team meets or exceeds our client’s goals. Help the client brainstorm new ideas to effectively drive coverage. Able to help handle crisis situations and manage issues.
- Analyst Relations: Oversee ongoing analyst relations by ensuring periodic briefings with key analysts. Help define strategies for positively influencing key analysts and gaining their support. Work with the team to maximize analyst attention around key announcements and proactive campaigns.
- Speaking & Awards: Provide strategic counsel and insight to teams and clients. Ensure the team is tracking to results.
- Social Media: Understand strategy and execution of relevant social media channels for our clients; work with team to ensure the development of compelling social media content; work with team to ensure quality execution of social media content.
- Measurement; Create measurement strategies given the measurement tools and methodologies available to us. Have the ability to analyze measurement reports and make adjustments to ensure positive progress of our strategic communications campaigns across paid, earned and owned channels.
- Agency Operations: Participate in new business meetings and provide meaningful input and value. Take ownership of at least one operations program at the agency.
KEY SOFT SKILLS
- Client-Focused: Build strong trust with all clients and become the day-to-day lead for accounts s/he manages.
- Deliver Tangible Results: Have a relentless focus on results. Ensure goals are consistently met.
- Inspire a Shared Vision: Inspire the team to achieve both business goals as well as client goals. Provide constructive feedback and coaching to teammates, take on mentoring role and provide visibility/opportunities for others.
- Value People and Communicate with Candor: Able to communicate about difficult topics in a diplomatic and respectful way. Demonstrate the ability to deliver honest feedback in an empathetic manner and understand when more assertive approaches must be taken to protect other team members.
- Challenge Processes For Innovation and Efficiency: Work to improve business inefficiencies and be mindful of the cost of working ineffectively. Think in innovative ways and look for opportunities to set Merritt Group apart.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Four to six years of working experience
Social Media Marketing Manager
The Social Media Marketing Manager role focuses primarily on leading and developing, social media strategy, campaign development and execution, serving as the agency expert, leader and educator on related topics. These topics include social strategy, paid social, influencer marketing & engagement, social selling and social media measurement.
They will also serve as the go-to person responsible for architecting social listening, as well as measurement and analytics campaigns across the firm, serving as a resource to other client teams in setting up their monitoring and measurement programs. The Social Media Manager will plan, publish and promote content for a variety of client campaigns across the firm, as well as supporting new business opportunities where appropriate.
The Social Media Marketing Manager is primarily responsible for:
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification.
- Leading and/or informing major client social media campaigns across groups.
- Leading several “social-only” and “blog-only” accounts/programs across groups.
- Serving as a strategic resource and sounding board to client teams in advance of major social media client campaigns and/or new business efforts.
- Serving as a go-to source for agency staff by staying current on best practices for architecting and implementing social/PR measurement campaigns
- The strategy, management and execution of paid social campaigns across Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Establishing themselves as the agency expert on social media strategy and measurement by:
- Attending a minimum of 2 social media and measurement themed industry events per quarter
- Continuously seeking educational opportunities in this field
- Leading one educational session per quarter at Merritt Group’s All Hands Meeting
- Organizing and leading at least one agency demonstration per quarter on interesting uses of emerging Social Media tools
- Serving as a resource and point-person for social media crises that arise with clients
- Working closely with Practice Leads on leveraging Merritt Group’s own social media channels for agency marketing, business development and creating relevant language/content to be used across groups
KEY SOFT SKILLS
- Strategic Thinking: Uses an understanding of competitive position to develop short and long term strategies.
- Communication Proficiency: Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally and verbally in individual or group situations.
- Client Focus: Identifying and responding to current and future client needs.
- Project Management: Effectively manages projects by appropriately focusing on critical priorities. Effectively creates and executes against project timelines.
- Technical Expertise: Understands the technical aspects of emerging social media applications and continuously builds knowledge, keeping up to date on the changing landscape of social media.
- Initiative: Does more than is required or expected in the job; does things that no one has requested that will improve or enhance the service to the client or avoids a potential problem.
- Collaboration Skills: Develops cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group, working towards solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
- 7+ years of experience in social media, community management, or digital marketing along with at least 3 years of digital agency experience
- Excellent knowledge of leading industry software & tools, such as Brandwatch, Radian 6, Simply Measured, Google Analytics, HubSpot, WordPress, Gorkana, BuzzSumo, Facebook Power Editor/Analytics, Twitter Native Ads/Analytics and LinkedIn Sponsored Updates & Ads/Analytics
- Proven track record in leading, strategizing, executing and measuring social and content-led activity within sizeable and often complex integrated campaigns.
- Deep understanding of the paid social landscape including strategy, management, and reporting
- Lead not only in the development of sophisticated social strategies but also in the integration of social media into wider cross-channel projects involving SEO, PPC and Display Advertising
- Utilize landscape insights to craft data-driven social media strategies and to produce actionable outputs & recommendations
- Listening & auditing, organic & paid social media, community management, blogger outreach and influencer marketing
- Ideate great content-led ideas that are supported by sophisticated amplification strategies
- Demonstrated ability to grow a book of business and expand a team
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Experience building brands through content creation and social media marketing.
- Experience in B2B technology
More about Merritt Group
Founded in 1996, Merritt Group is a nationally recognized strategic communications agency that provides marketing, PR, and digital strategy and services to organizations ranging from venture-funded startups to global Fortune 500 companies. The company applies its deep expertise in four market areas – technology, energy, healthcare and government – to deliver results that get people talking. Our innovative programs range from messaging and positioning to customer relations, media outreach, social media strategy and execution, content marketing and other creative communications campaigns. Merritt Group has offices in Washington, D.C., and San Francisco, CA.
“Merritt Group is all about working together as a team and challenging individuals to achieve their highest potential. In addition to supporting growth through professional development opportunities, managers take on a mentorship role to simultaneously guide employees, allow their creativity to flourish and push them to take chances.”
Melissa Chadwick, Practice Director Merritt Group